Thursday, November 24, 2005

Philosophy of it all

I had this conversation with noor lastnight - wait, a debate is more like it - about how she says 'Gadgets are Lifeless'. I asked her, What is 'life'? I realise that this isn't the first time I've had such a debate with someone. The other time, I debated with Debbie about 'Games are not educational'. Here I asked, What is 'education'?

Once, I even had a go at a lecture - which I can't remember what it was about. But he ended up making me write an essay to which I simply titled "Beyond Meanings". He ended up telling me that he was merely curious with what I had in mind (he made me go through all the frustrations just for that! but writing the essay was fun nonetheless). He told me to take up Philosophy of Language when I had the chance, and to study more on Semantics. I did... for a few weeks. After that, it was back to gaming for me. =p

Anyway, it struck me that most people sees words as what they actually represent and to what they are normally associated with. Life is life, and things that can think, feel, etc. is alive. What is not alive is obviously dead or lifeless. Education is education - and education is found in schools. But people are the ones that give words meanings. They define what each word should mean, and the product is what society has established as it's core meaning - which is what you see on the surface.

But if you see beyond it, everthing goes back to the root of it all. What is 'education'? Why do we have to go through this society defined 'education'? What is 'normal'? What is 'weird'? Why are we here? What's the meaning of life? What is life? Why is that nasi katok photo here?

That's nasi katok lambak. Really nice. Big chicked for something that costs a buck. This was my dinner.

Anyway, I guess - it is because I asked all these "Whats" and "Whys" that I am taking Philosphy this semester... but then... stupid me, I've only been attending it for 5times.

I have made it my life's goal to become a philosopher or a linguist, a master in semantics. But then, I wanna work in the gaming industry too. Oh... so many ambitions, so little opportunities. Posted by Picasa

No comments: